Thursday, January 30, 2014

Don't Be Mad at Eve

Through my once-a-month battle with God’s curse on women, the Lord has brought me to a greater understanding of his truth, grace, and love. While I understand this is not the most conventional or comfortable topic to read about, – I can just feel some of you feeling so awkward as you read this – let not your hearts be troubled because I am not going into details of anything about menstrual cycles (it’s a weird word – I know). Even I, as a female, can say that periods are strange and gross. Mostly what this blog will be about is what I have learned from dealing with the monthly pain.

Attention: From now on, I will be referring to “periods” as “surprises” for the sake of the brave men reading this post.

To women reading this:
I hope this brings you encouragement, understanding and clarity on why the heck this is happening to your body once a month.

To men reading this:
I know you feel a little uncomfortable reading this, but I’m proud of you for even making it to this point. Although you do not directly experience this, you indirectly experience it from being around your sister, mom, friend, and/or girlfriend during their surprises. In addition, you may or may not be united as one with a pretty lady someday who will have to go through this once a month for a substantial amount of years, so it might be beneficial to you to somewhat understand this mystery. Bear with me. It’s going to be okay. I really do think you will find this interesting.

The majority of my close friends and family know that I got the short end of the stick when it comes to God’s curse on women. Without going into too much detail, the second day of my surprise is always horrible.  I break out into cold chills, get weak and faint, and then cannot do anything but lie down and wait for the stomach pain to go away. It’s not like it works around my schedule either. The second-day process I just explained has started on the first day of my new job, while I was out shopping, and multiple times while I was in class. There is nothing quite like lying on the cold tile floor of a Texas Tech bathroom stall. Every time this happens I ask God what his purpose behind this is. It is sometimes asked with bitterness and anger (I’ve been learning to be honest with him about that), but mostly I really just want to understand his purpose behind allowing this to happen to me. Here are a few things my Father has taught me through it:

1. God’s Sacrificial Love
One of the ways I have experienced my Father’s gentle love for me is through how my boyfriend, Josh, takes care of me through this. Last Christmas break Josh came to visit me in my hometown, and we were at Target when my second-day surprise process started (Target is not the most ideal place to get sick). He ended up having to drive my 1998 black Mustang back to my house, and when I got to the front door, I laid down in the fetal position until he opened it. I remember thinking, “He probably has no clue what is going on and thinks I’m being overdramatic, but I literally do not care right now.” I think later that day he told me he was thinking something along the lines of “I have no clue what’s going on right now. Is she dying?” Anyway, I praise God for how understanding and caring he was that day. It showed me a picture of the patient, loving kindness of Christ. Josh has endured this with me enough times to where we basically have a routine for it. He will always drop what he is doing, come pick me up, carry me up the stairs of my apartment, lay me down in my bed, and get me whatever I need. Every time he carries me, while I lie limp in pain and helpless in his arms, I am reminded of how Christ sacrificial love. It beautifully depicts how love is patient, kind and not self-seeking (1 Corinthians 13:4-5). Christ laid down everything for me and pulled me out of a hopeless place and into his loving embrace.

What the Lord has graciously shown me through Josh is only a mere glimpse of what is to come. Someday my flesh will fade away, and my Father will carry me away from all the pain and suffering of this world and into the heavens, the place of true rest, where my soul calls home. O, how vast and deep and great is the Father’s love for His children!

“In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins” (1 John 4:9-10, ESV).

2. Our Affliction is Short
“For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison (2 Corinthians 4:17, ESV).” In other words, all physical and emotional pain will be but a shadow in comparison to the glory that is to come for those who love God. The surprise I go through once a month is one of the many thorns in my sides that humbles me and reminds me of my desperation and co-dependence on the One who created and saved me. It has taught me to put my hope in what is unseen rather that what is seen (2 Corinthians 4:18).

Stop for a minute and take a look around you. Everything you see now and every day of your life is temporal, including the eyes you are reading this with and the body your eyes are attached to. May your hope be set on what is eternal and not on the perishing things of this world!

3. Not in the Original Game Plan
The most recent thing the Spirit has taught me is that it is not the way God originally designed it. This curse is a result of sin entering the world in Genesis 3 when Eve ate the fruit she was commanded not to eat. But I’m not mad at Eve, I have just as much bloodguilt on my hands as she did.

All of creation was created, and God saw that it was good. Psalm 34:8 says that God is good, so it was designed to worship and reflect his goodness. However, when sin entered the world, it did not just distance us from God, but infected all of creation. Everything, which was intended to be good, is now shattered and crying out for restoration. The bible is not super specific on what this means, but I interpret it to mean the trees are not as green or as lovely as they once were; the water is not as clear and pure as it was meant to be; the animals and insects have inherited vicious behaviors. The glorious melody the earth once sang in perfect harmony to praise its Creator now sounds something like a gargantuan group of toddlers all trying to play different instruments.

Man and woman were made in the image of God, formed by the massive, holy hand of the King, purposed to mirror his awesome glory, but when sin came into the picture, that mirror was dropped off the empire state building and fractured into millions of tiny pieces. Because of this, God multiplied women’s pain in child bearing (Genesis 3:16).

Romans 8:22 says together all of creation is groaning in the pains of childbirth. So once a month, my body is literally groaning for restoration – to be as it was intended to be. As my body groans, so too does the natural earth in the form of earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, etc. The earth longs to be as it once was. All of creation is groaning together in the pains of childbirth awaiting the coming (or the birth) of the new earth and new heavens.
“For behold, I create new heavens
       and a new earth,
and the former things shall not be remembered
      or come to mind.”
-Isaiah 65:17

4. Clean By His Blood
When women in the Old Testament had their menstruation, they, and everything they touched, would be considered unclean. However, by Jesus’ blood we have been purified (1 Corinthians 6:11), so now even in our blood women who fear God and believe in Jesus can proclaim with authority “we are clean!” Praise God that I am now clothed in righteousness because of his grace!

5. Pain and Suffering is Real
I really dislike the phrase “well, it could be worse – be thankful for what you have.” While this is true, it could be worse, and you should be thankful for what you have, that does not mean the pain I, or anyone has, does not still hurt. The phrase leaves a bitter, unsettling taste in my mouth that does not lead me to find my hope and comfort in Jesus. It makes me feel like I am being overdramatic and that my pain is completely insignificant in comparison to others’ pain.

2 Corinthians 1:4 says God comforts in all afflictions – not just persecution or deadly diseases, but in ALL afflictions. My brothers and sisters let us put to death the lie that our big God does not care about our small problems. He loves when his children will just cry out honestly to him.

God does not desire to tear his children down by saying “what are you making such a big deal about? It could be worse.” That is what the enemy and our flesh does. God is in the business of healing and building up his beloved (his church).

“And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you (1 Peter 5:10, ESV).

No comments:

Post a Comment